|Angkor Wat, just outside of Siem Reap, Cambodia... |
and steps from the Jay Pritzker Academy.
This is a 30 point homework assignment.
Part 1: Images of Angkor Wat (2 points each, 10 points total)
First, take a look at a website containing images of Angkor Wat.
Once you have opened this link, browse through the topics on the left hand side of the page and choose one of the topics listed. You will be able to see several images, and many of the links also have a brief description of the specific temple you are viewing.
Think about Cambodian culture as you look through the images of Khmer sculpture and architecture. Think about what you have learned throughout this course about culture as well as what you have learned about Southeast Asia. Answer the following questions on loose leaf paper.
- What does this image tell you about the Khmer?
- Why do you think they made this sculpture/structure?
- What is the significance of Angkor Wat?
- What does the size and complexity of the complex say about the Khmer Empire?
- Is Angkor Wat used in the same way today as it was when it was first built? What can this response tell us about Cambodia's history?
Part 2: Trade Representative Connection (20 points)
Put yourself back into the mindset of a US trade ambassador to Southeast Asia. How would you use what you learned today to benefit US trade and/or yourself as a trade ambassador in Cambodia? Answer this in a complete paragraph on your loose leaf. Include at least 5 sentences (Intro, 3 support, Conclusion).
This portion of the assignment is worth 20 points, and is scored based on this rubric.