|European settlers unload goods upon their arrival |
in the Americas
Call the assignment "Columbian Exchange Introduction". Complete it on loose leaf paper.
Respond to the following:
- Review: When did the earliest people arrive in North America? Where did they come from?
- Based on the information in your book, define and describe the Columbian Exchange.
- Sketch the Columbian Exchange, showing what moved from place to place at each step.
Then, watch this video clip, entitled "When Worlds Collide."
- What does the video mean when it mentions a "staple" crop?
- What were some foods eaten by people in the Americas?
- Argue for or against the following statement using evidence from the video: People in the Americas were better off than people in Europe.
Then, watch a second clip from "When Worlds Collide." Use it to answer the questions below.
- What is the main idea of this clip?
- How did resources from the Americas affect the European economy?
- How did contact with the Americas change what Europeans ate?
- What are some common foods Europeans tried for the first time because of contact with the Americas?
- What "bad habit" did Europeans pick up?
Finally, read the article titled "Foods that Changed the World." You will see information on 8 crops.
- Choose 4 crops. Describe why each became very important in the world today.
- Which of these crops do you think is most important? Explain.