|Leading Republican candidates |
Herman Cain and Mitt Romney
Tomorrow we will be in the classroom -- we'll take a look at the U.S. economy and use the terms you defined last night. Make sure you have those out for me to check at the start of class.
For today, we'll take a look at one important current event. Although it seems like Barack Obama just took office as president, 2012 marks the end of his first term. That means the president will have to run against a candidate from another party.
What party does President Obama belong to?
What is the other major U.S. party?
Currently, the following 9 people are competing to earn the Republican nomination for president.
- Michelle Bachmann
- Herman Cain
- Newt Gingrich
- Jon Huntsman
- Gary Johnson
- Ron Paul
- Rick Perry
- Buddy Roemer
- Mitt Romney
- Rick Santorum
You have been assigned a candidate to research today. Complete the questions below in an e-mail to me. The e-mail is worth a total of 20 points.
For each question, if you do not use one of the links I've provided, paste the link where you found your information after your answer. You can find most of the information at your candidate's official site.
- Name your candidate and paste the link for his/her official website.
- What is a Republican? What values does the Republican Party stand for? Use the Encyclopedia Brittanica to answer this question.
- What state does your candidate come from? What can you find out about his/her background in that state?
- What past experience does your candidate have?
- Do you think your candidate's past experience prepares him/her to be President? Explain.
- What issues does your candidate seem to care most about? Explain.
- Look at the chart at the Real Clear Politics website. Which candidate is currently winning? How is your candidate doing?
- Free Space: Find one additional fact about your candidate and explain it here.